PRINCE2® (PRojects IN Controlled Environments) is a process-based approach for project management providing an easily tailored and scalable method for the management of all types of projects.
PRINCE2 is a flexible method that guides you through the essentials for running a successful project regardless of project type or scale. PRINCE2 can be tailored to meet your organization or industry specific requirement.
The method divides projects into manageable stages to encourage efficient control of resources and regular progress monitoring. PRINCE2® is “product-based”, meaning the project plans are focused on delivering results, and not simply planning when activities are done. It is driven by the project’s business case which should describe the justification, commitment and rationale for the deliverables or outcome. The business case should be reviewed to ensure the objectives are appropriate and are realized.
Strengths of PRINCE2®
- Structured method providing a standard approach to the management of projects, embodying proven and established good practices in project management.
- Being widely recognized and understood it provides a common language for project participants.
- Provides control in use of resources and to manage risk.
- Enables projects to have:
- Controlled and organized start, middle and end;
- Regular reviews of progress to plan and to Business Case;
- Flexible decision points;
- Automatic managerial control of any deviations from plan;
- Involvement of management and stakeholders at appropriate points;
- Encourages communication channels between the project, project management, and stakeholders.
- Brings benefits to individual projects, including:
- Definition of roles and responsibilities at each level;
- Reduced meetings and bureaucracy, through management by exception;
- Appropriate levels of planning from high level long-term to low-level immediate term;
- Separation of management activities from technical activities;
- A better appreciation of project risks by all concerned;
- Ways of managing changes, to reduce risk.
What is this Course about?
This course offers participants insight into the different PRINCE2® processes, components, techniques and the relationship between them. A scenario will be used to field-test specific PRINCE2® techniques. Coverage will also include a range of general project management techniques.
What will you Learn?
The sequence of the session follows the “natural course” of a project.
- Understand the PRINCE2® method at Practitioner level
- Understand how to tailor PRINCE2® to your project environment
- Develop Key PRINCE2® products
- Apply classroom concepts to project scenarios
- Learn the 7 PRINCE2® Themes and how they are applied in projects
- Learn the 7 PRINCE2® Processes, activities and create the key management products within each process
- Understand the PRINCE2® Project Management team Roles and their Responsibilities
- Key PRINCE2® Project Management Products and why and where they are created
- Use a Case study scenario to apply PRINCE2® framework
Why become AXELOS' PRINCE2® Practitioner Certified Project Manager?
- Widely recognized Project Certification across the world
- Demonstrates your understanding of Project Management
- Certification increases your Marketability
- Approval of your knowledge of Project Management
- Proof of Professional Achievement
- Improves the way you manage your Projects
A candidate aspiring to take the PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification must have successfully completed one of the following certifications:
- PRINCE2 Foundation Certification
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or,
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- International Project Management Association (IPMA)
- IPMA Level A (Certified Projects Director) or,
- IPMA Level B (Certified Senior Project Manager) or,
- IPMA Level C (Certified Project Manager) or,
- IPMA Level D (Certified Project Management Associate)
Program Outline & Topics
Setting the scene for a structured approach to managing all projects, project success criteria, the model of the PRINCE2® method including the integrated elements of principles, processes, themes and tailoring.
PRINCE2® focuses on key processes needed for successful project management which must be present, but may be ‘tailored’ to reflect the complexity, scope and risks faced by the project. PRINCE2® Process Model will be used to help delegates understand and appreciate what should be done to manage each project, why it should be done and when in the project lifecycle.
What is a Business Case, Outcomes, Outputs, Benefits and Dis-benefits, Developing, Verifying and Maintaining the Business Case; confirming the benefits and the Benefits Review Plan
Project Management Team Structure and the Project Board, Project Assurance, Project Manager, Team Manager, Change Authority and Project Support roles & responsibilities. Stakeholder management, Communication Management Strategy.
Levels and content of Plans, Exception Plans, Product-based approach to planning – Project Product Description, Product Breakdown Structure, Product Description, Product Flow Diagram; the PRINCE2® planning steps.
Management and Technical Stages, Tolerance and Raising Exceptions, Project Board and Project Manager Controls for Reviewing and Reporting Progress, Baselines for Control, Capturing and Reporting Lessons, Event-driven and time-driven controls.
Issue and Change Control procedure, Configuration Management procedure, Configuration Management Strategy, Baseline, Handling changes, Tracking and protecting products, Change Authority and Change Budget.
Quality Defined, The Quality Audit Trial, Acceptance Criteria, Quality Criteria, Quality Management Strategy, Quality Assurance, Quality Controls and Quality Review technique.
Risk and Risk Management, Risk Management in Projects, Risk Management Strategy, Risk Management Procedure and Risk Budget.
A project scenario runs throughout the course from start to finish. A comprehensive set of tasks help provide a practical application of the method. Many tasks are designed to help delegates link the four integrated elements of PRINCE2® – Principles, Processes, Themes and Tailoring. There are also sample exam questions for delegates to practice on before sitting the exam.
Who Should Attend
The target audience for the program are professionals interested in pursuing the AXELOS’ PRINCE2® Practitioner Project Management Certification Examination including anyone, who wants to take up project management including Project Managers, Team Managers, Executives, Project Leaders, Project Co-ordinators, Program and Delivery Managers, Quality Staff (Testing and Quality Assurance), PMP, Testers and Project Controller (PMO Office).
Training and Exam Duration
Training: 2 days.
The course material shall be issued on the first day of the course during registration.
Exam: 150 minutes (2.5 hours) duration
The PRINCE2® Practitioner exam consists of 8 scenario based questions (10 question items per question, each worth one mark).
The exam is open-book (official PRINCE2® manual only). The candidate must achieve at least 55% (44 marks out of 80) of the total score possible.